Usually when I arrive to late to an appointment, it is because of circumstances beyond my control and which I could not reasonably be expected to anticipate, like when traffic slows to a crawl because a car has just caught fire on the side of the freeway.
But when it comes to crochet projects, I almost never correctly estimate the amount of time I will need to complete a project, and I when I am in error, I always need more time.
Such is the case with the lemur I am currently working on.
The last time I wrote about this lemur redux, I had finished all of the pieces:
Today, I took those pieces and began the process of assembling them.
I started by putting mini-pony beads in the body to weight the bottom of the finished lemur and make it easier for the lemur to sit up without the weight of the tail pulling it back. Here is a view from the top:
and here is a view from the side:
After I had gotten the body prepared for stuffing, I then began work on the head. After 10 minutes spent tracking down the eyes and nose, I was able to get to work.
Half-an-hour and a half dozen trips up and down the stairs later, I had attached the nose, both eyes, tacked down the crochet circles around the eyes, stuffed the head, and sewed up the back:
When I set out put this together, I had the fanciful notion that I would have it done in an hour’s time. Needless to say, my hours need another 60 to 90 minutes added to them if that is to be the case, but tomorrow is a new day, and maybe, just maybe, I can put this project to bed.