I am now more than halfway through my journey on the road to one thousand crochet squares — a project that sprang out of an inquiry in which I was asked if I would be interested in contributing a few squares to Project Amigo — and it turned out that I was interested, and that once I had completed rehabbing a few squares, the work was so gratifying that I did a few more.
I continued in that vein until I was more than a hundred squares in, and at that point, the project had achieved a crochet momentum all it’s own, and I, through my hooks and yarn, became the crochet vehicle that transformed some of the many crochet remnants in my life from purposelessness to purposefulness.
Originally, I worked on squares I had crocheted that were close in size to the requirement that the squares measure either five or six inches across, but eventually, I ran out of squares that were nearly the right size.
Lucky for me, I had (and to a lesser degree still have) a huge collection of smaller crochet remnants, and I have been able to use those many bits to fashion several hundred more crochet squares.
The past two days, I have spent my crochet time working on the first round of rehab on a varied assortment of crochet remnants that I unearthed in late October as I sorted through the pieces of my crochet empire. While I didn’t complete the first round of rehab on all of the remnants, I did finish with the first round on eighteen of the future crochet squares:
And then, so I could get a sense of my overall progress since I mailed my last batch of squares to Project Amigo, I got this photo of the six-inch squares I have rehabbed:
and this photo of the five-inch squares:
When I began this crochet journey, I knew where I was going, but I didn’t know how I would get there, and I continue moving forward, one stitch at a time.