I had hoped that I would celebrate Bastille Day 2019 with the great fanfare of a project finished, but I didn’t quite make it. As the 230th anniversary of the Bastille draws to a close, I am two — count them two —- squares away from reaching the end of the journey of a thousand squares.
I had thought I could get it all done, but Friday found me running errands that Could no longer be put off, and it was late afternoon before I had the opportunity to pick up a hook and to begin work on my crochet.
I spent the rest of the weekend trying to get caught up, but I didn’t quite make it.
I started by weaving in the ends of eleven of the twelve remnants I had started with:
During that process, one of the remnants got misplaced, and after spending 10 minutes looking for it, I decided that the best course of action was to continue moving forward with what I had, so I did, and in what is me crocheting and weaving in ends at lightning speed, I finished work on the eleven remnants I didn’t misplace:
and selected remnants to be configured into 12 more squares:
Unfortunately, two remnants I was going to join to form the basis of a crochet rehab turned out to each have a different number of stitches from the other:
So I plowed forward with the eleven I did have, crocheting and weaving in ends and crocheting and weaving in more ends:
and with the second set of eleven squares all done except for weaving in a couple of dozens ends on the three six-inch squares, I took a moment to find two more crochet remnants.
I returned to a bin that has been a particularly fruitful source, and found amid a tangle of yarn, two more remnants:
Tomorrow will be a new day, and when the sunrises, I will resume my efforts, one stitch at a time.