This past weekend I was busy with myriad non-crochet related activities, but there were moments that I was able to slip outside with my hooks and yarn to crochet and take advantage of the lovely weather. While I did not get any crochet of consequence done, I did make forward progress on using some of the vast stores of yarn at my disposal with a fit of fevered motif madness.
One of my current projects is something that I inadvertently fell into while attempting to meet a crochet commitment I had made.
This past Thursday I attempted to square off an African flower hexagon motif to contribute to a community project of which I was a part. While my attempts to square off the hexagon did not meet with success, when I was done, I had one African flower hexagon.
I have long wanted to make a blanket composed of African flower hexagons, and I decided that this solitary African flower hexagon that resulted from Thursday’s efforts was the perfect point from which to begin.
Since that Thursday, I have begun my crochet day by making a single African flower hexagon — a meditation of sorts — and then joining it to the previously completed and joined hexagons. From there, I move on to the project of the day.
Here is Friday’s hexagon:
and here it is joined to the previous day’s effort:
Saturday, I made this third hexagon:
and Sunday, I completed yet another:
bringing the total number completed to four:
The other project I worked on (when I was not tying together the ends of the seemingly endless scraps of yarn in my living room) was the Hawaiian Flowers window treatment for my mother’s kitchen window:
While my speed on these project is not particularly impressive, I am, at least, moving forward, and should you want to work on either of these motifs yourself, this tutorial for the African flower hexagon is excellent as is Sarah London’s Hawaiian flowers pdf.