My definition of an unfinished project is rather expansive, so it includes not only projects that I have begun and set aside, but also projects I have been meaning to get to, but haven’t yet. Such is the case with today’s project to which resulted in a baker’s dozen of squares.
I am, as of today, just over two years overdue with a gift for the child of a friend from college.
While I had a vague notion of what I wanted to make, I didn’t really get any clarity until I reached an impasse with the Fibonacci project.
While I was busy sketching out several options for the project that will not (at least as of this moment) move forward, I had an insight into what I wanted to do for my friend’s now two-year-old son.
Squares — lots of them, and I knew just the square for this endeavor.
I have been wanting to do a project using the Royal Sister’s sublime Nana Square, and a blanket for a child seemed the perfect vehicle for this splendid motif.
Using as many shades of blue as I could easily dig out of my crochet empire and nearby yarn annex, I got to work.
While I had identified a color scheme (blue), a yarn (worsted weight acrylic), and a motif (the inimitable Nana Square), the project got off to a slow start as I didn’t know what size hook I would use.
I started with a 5.0 mm hook (the square was not supple enough); then I tried a 6.0 mm hook (the center of the square was too large); finally, I tried a 5.5mm hook, and the square was, at long last, just right.
After this initial rocky start, I was finally able to move forward, and as the sun was about to set, I got this series of photos:
I don’t yet know how many squares I will need, or how they will be arranged, but I do know that there is no project I can’t make more complicated if I just put my mind to it.