I worked on several crochet projects this weekend, but the one that got most of my time and attention was a pumpkin head that is one of five heads featured in the Mr. Bone Headz Pop Off Head crochet pattern extravaganza.
I had been so pleased with the way the shrunken and mummy heads turned out:
that I was unable to resist taking hook to yarn and making the pumpkin head. Aimee Borst’s directions were, as always, excellent, but I made two small tweaks to the pattern as written.
First: I split lengths of black worsted weight yarn in half and used that to crochet the eyes and nose. I used the same split yarn to embroider the mouth, which created, to my mind, features that better fit the scale of the head I had crocheted. Second: instead of using a beige yarn for the stem, I went with a more traditional, if less accurate, green.
Round by round I counted my stitches, appliquéd and embroidered the features, stuff the head, then closed it all up, and in short order, the third head was ready to join its compatriots; happily, the new head fit right in:
With all of that work done, there was only one thing left to do: See how the new head fit on the skeleton:
The fit was perfect, and as best I can tell, he enjoyed the view.