When I was a child, crossed fingers were believed to impart some kind of magic, and this year, it’s beginning to look as if 2018 is the year I will finally finish the crochet project I began on August 1, 2015. After all the time this has taken, I could use a little magic, and I have my fingers crossed that this year will be the year.
The last couple of days, I worked diligently to fashion some new pieces, and in order to get the best fit possible (which is not always perfect), I had to seam and re-seam several times, but just before sunset, I had gotten this far with the new pieces:
Which left me with this sizable — but not overwhelming — gap to be filled:
Satisfied with my progress on making the crochet crazy quilt pieces and wanting to get a few more color decisions made while the light was good, I stopped for a moment and took this photo:
Then went back to work.
In addition to the crochet crazy quilt pieces to embroider, there are more than a few seams to trick out as well. To remedy the former, I scoured the internet looking for images of things that I associate with my grandmother in some fashion, and after I found several that would do the trick, I began crocheting more rickrack.
I split some yarn and crocheted a length of rickrack in a color I thought would be perfect only to find that it didn’t just fall short of the mark, it looked completely wrong. I did this not once, but several times; however, after several misses, I did manage several hits, and this is an overview that includes strands of crochet rickrack that made the cut:
And with a few things left that I can work on now that the sun has gone down, I will continue forward with my fingers crossed working one stitch at a time.