I begin each crochet project with high hopes and the best of intentions.
I dutifully read the directions, and then dutifully attempt to follow the directions I have read. Invariably, however, at some point I find that I have to change something.
This despite the fact that I I loved the project exactly as it was. While I might try for days, or weeks or months to continue as directed, at some point I find I am no longer able to resist what has become an overwhelming need to make a change.
Such is the case with the Quadrant Blanket.
I first came across this blanket and the accompanying pattern in early June of 2010. Using an H hook and Red Heart Super Saver yarn, I put my own twist on it, but then when it came time to make the border, I was plagued with doubts and recriminations.
I redid it several times, and despite the fact I loved the border as it was in the project pictured, I did not love the border I had made.
The blanket was folded and put away, and never given to its intended recipient. Then when I got started on the task of organizing my crochet holdings, it was clear to me that the blanket needed to be bigger.
I have now made six additional squares, two of which I completed today:
Another aspect of my effort to organize my crochet empire includes using what I have and making certain that what I have is used.
In going through one of the 24 cubbies of my two IKEA Expedit units, I found this completed motif:
While there is nothing wrong with the motif, I only made it in order to be able to answer another crocheter’s questions about how to make it. So as I had no specific use for the motif, but I did have a specific use for the yarn it was made of, I frogged it, and made the center of the last granny square I will need for my revised version of the Quadrant Blanket:
By Wednesday of this week, there should be an even dozen squares all made and assembled.
I still have no idea what I will do for the border, but at least I will have another cubby cleaned out.