Sometime late last spring, I began work on a series of amigurumi that I intend to send to the Pediatric Infusion Center at UCDavis Medical Center. I am more than a little bit behind in this effort, but today, I made progress.
The day began with myriad household tasks that needed my attention, not the least of which was creating a little more room in my crochet empire/guest room by packing up some things that need to be sent to various places that are not my crochet empire.
As I worked my way through the assortment of things that needed my attention, I found the box that contains the amigurumi I have completed so far.
My goal is 25 amigurumi, and when I sorted through the box and counted only the amigurumi that were complete, I found that I was 19 amigurumi shy of my goal. To remedy that, I got to work on yet another amigurumi.
Using Sally V. George’s Forest Friend pattern as my reference, I adapted her pattern for a robin and made a cardinal. With Red Heart Super Saver cherry red, black, and burgundy, as well as a 3.75mm hook, I got to work.
Despite a late start and several interruptions, I got all of the pieces made just before 4:00 pm, including a body:
and a tail that I didn’t photograph.
Then, with my large Clover bent-tipped needle in hand, I raced against the sunset which comes earlier each day and finished the cardinal with just enough time to get this photo:
Tomorrow I am going to focus my crochet efforts on finishing as many of the partially completed amigurumi as I can. I had wanted to get these done by the end of July, but clearly, my schedule has slipped, and if I want these amigurumi to have a home, I need to attend to the finishing details so that I can send them off, and they can serve as ambassadors of joy.