In which I attempt to generate some finishing mojo

The new year has been, for me, a time of expanding crochet projects. Every time I think I’m about to close in on finishing something, it slips from my grasp, so today, I made a concerted effort to only work on project that I have already started. No flirting with the “perfect crochet cardigan” for spring, no “just trying one motif.” Instead, I stuck to a diet of finishing at least one of the many projects I am juggling in an effort to generate some “finishing mojo.”

There were so many options to choose from, it was hard to know where to start, so I went with one that seemed like it would be quick and easy: weaving in the ends of a textured crochet newsboy hat I had made from yarn I had reclaimed from a rug I never finished:

The interior of a textured crochet purple newsboy hat with the ends woven in done in an attempt to generate finishing mojo
The interior of a textured crochet newsboy hat with the ends finally woven in

It was easy, but it wasn’t quite as quick as I had expected it to be. When I had crocheted it, I hadn’t noticed just how many ends had been generated, but when it came time to weave them in, it was hard to ignore.

Undeterred, I took my trusty bent-tipped yarn needle and got to work, and in more time than I had initially budgeted, but in less time than I thought, I had all of the ends woven in, and the hat was ready to wear:

A top down view of the completed purple textured crochet newsboy hat
A top down view of the completed purple newsboy hat

But had I achieved my goal of creating finishing mojo?

I decided to put it to the test, and I pulled out my first and future troll hat which still needs quite a few of the lengths of yarn unravelled:

The back of my first crochet troll hat with yarn hair in need of more unravelling
The back of the first crochet troll hat with yarn hair in need of unravelling

Using a slight modification of the unravelling method I arrived at the last time I spent an afternoon unravelling yarn, I got to work:

I put the finishing mojo to use and work on the  back of my first crochet troll hat with yarn hair in the process of being unravelled
The troll hat unravelling in medias res

In forty-five minutes I had made visible progress:

The back of my first crochet troll hat with yarn hair after forty-five minutes more of unravelling
The same hat, forty-five minutes later

I have two goals for this weekend. One is to not start any new projects, and the other is to finish the first troll hat, unraveling the yarn, one strand at a time.