This weekend, when I was not preparing the carpeted rooms in our home for the cleaning they will get tomorrow, I was sorting through the still myriad random crochet squares that have accumulated in seemingly ever corner of my house, and I came across these rose motifs I had designed for my 2014 North Carolina State Fair project:
I had intended to use them to frame each of the nine panels of my 2014 North Carolina State Fair project:
but when I had laid them out, I found that the proposed crochet border overwhelmed the piece, so I set the motifs aside and did not pick them up until yesterday when I saw in them the potential to be one of the seven-inch squares in my evolving seven-inch crochet square project.
With that goal in mind, I joined the squares. Satisfied that it looked as good as I had hoped would, I wove in and trimmed the ends:
While the square needs an ever-so-slight border to fill it out, I let it rest for the moment and turned my attention to this nearly completed crochet square:
I knew it needed one more round to get to the size I was after, but I didn’t know if I wanted to continue in the same color or change to a new one.
After crocheting a second round in the same delft blue I knew for certain that I wanted a different color for the final round, so I grabbed the Red Heart Super Saver rouge that was nearby:
Satisfied with the newly minted seven-inch square, I turned my attention to this crochet circle I had found in a bag of abandoned motifs:
Better known as the center of “Square B-4” from the (to my mind) world famous Better Homes & Gardens Granny Square Sampler, I was determined to take this abandoned sort-of-a-circle motif that was curling in on itself and turn it into a proper seven-inch square.
I started with a round of shocking pink single crochet stitches which were a good start:
But there was still a way to go. Although it isn’t apparent in the photo the way it was in life, the circle struggled both to be a circle (it had a variable diameter) and to lie flat.
Fortunately for me, there was still some rounds to be crocheted, and using Red Heart Super Saver rouge, I managed to flatten the motif, and crochet a square that will fit in the overall piece:
I haven’t yet decided all of the particulars of how I will put these squares together, but I am certain that when I do, it will be an adventure to remember.