With the businesses only beginning to open in the wake of the ongoing pandemic, I still have a lot of time to crochet, and yesterday, while I was trying to make the crochet feet for Pekkle the crochet duck come out the right size, I found it necessary to make a course correction with the color.
The exceedingly bright orange I had used to make the webbed feet worked excellently as a color, but the weight of the yarn was ever-so-slightly greater than the other yarns I had used and the resulting feet were too big for the body.
I had two options: I could use a weight of yarn that resulted in a more appropriate foot size, or I could completely revamp both the body and the head to get the feet to work. It seemed a lot easier to change the color of the feet and beak, but that presented a different conundrum: I didn’t have another orange that would work as well as the one I had used.
So diving (figuratively) into my stash, I found a pink that crocheted up into a webbed foot that was “just right.”
While my inner Goldilocks satisfied that the foot size was now right, I still needed her to sign on to pink feet and a beak.
After a quick color consult, her fears were assuaged, and I was able to move forward:
Pleased with my progress, but not having the block of time I wanted to embroider and attach the features, I shifted crochet gears, and I turned my attention to one of the great granny square blankets I am working on.
I thought the overall piece had an orange deficit, so I pulled out a skein of a new orange I had gotten, and tried it out next to the bright pink that was at the outer edge:
Then I let Pekkle, the “in progress” crochet duck take it for a test nap:
With eighteen rounds left to crochet, I am sure that I will be in for more than one color course correction, but I will move forward, one stitch at a time.
2 thoughts on “A color course correction”
Love to see what you will do next! 🙋👏👏👏👏💯💗
I know it will be very interesting and splendid.
Comments are closed.