My attempt to organize my crochet life is multi-pronged, and somewhere there is a now lost notebook that outlines my campaign to organize my crochet.
Part of it involves using what I have to make crochet objects of purpose, and to that end I have been busy transforming the many crochet squares of various sizes that populate my empire into five:
and seven-inch crochet squares:
The five and six-inch squares are destined for Project Amigo, while the seven-inch squares are destined for a future project of my own.
A second prong of my organizational effort is keeping only those things which I currently use and which I can foresee using in the next 48 months. This means that there is a fair amount of yarn (some of in middle school, some of it old enough to drive, some of it old enough to vote) that needs to be rehomed, as well as a number of crochet books that would get more use if they graced someone else’s bookshelf.
To that end I have given a good amount of yarn to nearby friends who can use it, and I have managed to sell a bit in an “overload yarn” group at ravelry, and I have found homes for a number of crochet books that are in the same condition they were the day I bought them, due in no small part to the fact that I have hardly opened them.
The third, and most time consuming prong of my effort, is documenting and writing patterns for the various crochet designs I have created.
I have had any number of good ideas over the years, and I have created a lot of designs I am proud of, but I have not taken the time to create a pattern that others could use, and while it is nice to inspire people, it is also nice to create a crochet blueprint they can use to help them achieve their own crochet goals and create crochet objects they can enjoy.
So today, with that in mind, I focused on writing a pattern for the crochet hexagon I designed to make this purse:
Inspired by a crochet soccer ball I had designed earlier in 2017 (and for which I did write a pattern):
I needed the interior lines of the peace sign to line up with the corners of the hexagon rather than being perpendicular to the sides. It had taken me awhile to figure out a good way to accomplish that, but eventually I did.
Unfortunately, if I made any notes about how I accomplished it, they were lost to me.
Fortunately, I found one of the original hexagons, which almost served as a crochet amulet. Before I even had to count one stitch, the particulars of the pattern came back to me, and in a couple of hours time, I had a rudimentary pattern.
There is still work to be done. Rudimentary patterns are just that: rudimentary, but with some time and effort, I should be able to polish it, and then other crocheters will be able to make their own peace sign crochet hexagons, one stitch at a time.