When I went to bed last night and was thinking of what I would crochet today I was not thinking of making my afghan for the 2010 North Carolina state fair, instead I planned to take this pile of yarn:
and turn it into a bag that looked like this, but purple and without flowers:
Instead I awoke with a start realizing that I had not begun in any appreciable way to work on an afghan for the upcoming state fair. I tried to go back to sleep, but to no avail. When I finally checked the time, it was 6:28. Not the lazy Sunday I had envisioned. But while my body bemoaned the decision to get out of bed, my mind was busy fretting as the realization dawned that not only had I not started on the afghan, I had not even decided what to make.
Armed with a cup of coffee, five pieces of graph paper, and a pencil, I went to my outdoor office and began sketching out the details of the two possible projects.
Option one would be comprised of 961 uniform squares of approximately 2.5″ x 2.5″. It would necessitate weaving in a total of 3002 ends as I planned to use two colors in about half of the squares. This also includes the optimistic assumption that my never-before-tried joining method will work, thereby eliminating 1740 ends to weave in.
Option two, is, at first glance, a little less intimidating as it would be comprised of 576 squares of 3″ x 3.” But instead of designing one uniform motif, it would require at least 12 different designs that all fit together perfectly. All of the squares would have at least two colors, and some would have more. There would also be a need to create and then appliqué other features onto the top of the afghan after it was completed.
About half way through my first cup of coffee, I had a vision (kind of like Elphaba), and I was able to decide which project I would work on for the next eleven weeks. I worked out the details of what colors would be used, how the squares would be made, and how they would be joined.
I guess the Fat Bag will have to wait until tomorrow.