With Dotghan 1.0 completed and the month of August now a memory, I decided that I had better take an inventory of the cookies I have made for my 2013 North Carolina State Fair project to get a better idea of where I am in relation to the schedule I laid out for myself when the first of August arrived., an when I did, I had to try not to panic.
After collecting all of the cookies in one place, and laying the small ones out on the coffee table:
I found that I had 35 large crochet cookies which included these six large cookies I had crocheted over the weekend:
This put me 3 large cookies ahead of where I had hoped to be, but left me with a large number of messy ends to tame:
Having spent much of Friday working out the particulars of how to crochet the large multi-color candy cookies, it too me almost no time on Saturday to figure out exactly how I would crochet the small multi-color candy cookies. But even with these six small multi-color candy cookies:
and these six small future frosted sugar cookies:
I was still 72 small cookies shy of my September 1 goal, and I had a lot of ends to weave in. I really didn’t have any extra time I could use to panic.
With that in mind, I got out my hook and set to work finishing the jam-center cookies, and by the day’s end I had crocheted the last remaining large jam-centered cookie, and the 14 small jam-centered cookies needed for my project:
Having closed the small crochet cookie gap by 14 cookies , I decided to take a small breather and with my hook in hand and some Red Heart Super Saver warm brown at my side, I did a test joining to make sure that the cookies would fit together as I had imagined they would, and happily for me, they did:
Clearly, I have a lot of work to do if I am to make another 48 cookie motifs and have them all joined and ready to go by the October 14 deadline, but at least I won’t have to wonder what I need to do.