After taking an inventory of my crochet cookie output at the end of August, I have spent the past few days working feverishly to get “caught up” on making the cookies I will need for my 2013 North Carolina State Fair project: Cookieghan 2.0, and to increase those cookies and keep them round, I have been working lots of “2sc in next st.”
What this means in practical terms is that I go nowhere without the yarn and hooks necessary to make more cookies, but unlike the game “Cookie Clicker” where a player can increase cookie output by purchasing more grandmas (to bake more cookies) or an Alchemy Lab (to turn gold into cookies) or a Time Machine (which brings cookies from the past, before they were even eaten) my ability to produce cookies is limited to the time and yarn on hand, so when I sat down with my mom at one of my favorite coffee shops (Bean Traders), it was with hook in hand, yarn to crochet with, and my phone with an application that has made my crochet life substantially easier.
Over this past summer, I have tried to take more initiative in the area of designing that is comprised by the general rubric “writing down patterns” and to that end I have begun using a product called Evernote.
As the name implies, it is for making notes, and it came in quite handy today when I was trying to remember just exactly how I had made the large Peanut Butter Blossom cookie in the upper left-hand corner of this photo:
There were some particulars I could not recall as precisely as would have been helpful, but with the Evernote application on my phone, it took just seconds to access the notes I had made about how to crochet the cookie.
Included in those notes was this line of the directions:
2sc in next st
that was underlined and highlighted in blue. When I touched the screen of my phone in an effort to figure out why, a map application opened up and displayed this map:
Apparently “2sc in next st” is in very close proximity to me!
Despite this bug/feature, the notes I had made in Evernote certainly helped me stay on track and provided me easy and quick access when I needed it not only for the large Peanut Butter Blossom, but for a couple of the small crochet cookies I was working on as well:
On Sunday morning when I did a comprehensive inventory, I found that I was ahead by three large cookies, but that was more than offset by the fact that I was behind by 72 of the small cookies. With my efforts over the past three days, I have managed to get ahead by two more large cookies than were scheduled, and I have whittled the small crochet cookie deficit down to 47.
I still have quite a way to go, but with each stitch, I am more confident I will make the deadline.