The transition from cookieghan cookies to cookie-dough-ku cookies has not been as seamless as I had thought it would be.
The thirteen varieties of cookies I developed for the cookieghan were the result of many months of disciplined study. I scoured the internet for pictures of cookies, examined cookies in bakery display cases, and studied the pictures of cookies on packages in the cookie aisle at every grocery store I shopped at looking for cookies that best exemplified the ideal of “cookie-ness.”
My goal was not to make something that merely evoked the idea of a cookie, but to create objects that were as close to real cookies as I could get with worsted weight yarn and 4.0 and 4.5 mm hooks.
The goal of the cookie-dough-ku is different.
Because the purpose of cookie-dough-ku is to be a puzzle that can be solved rather than a collection of joined objects to be contemplated, I needed dual purpose cookies that could be used either in the layout of the puzzle or as place markers for solving.
Moving from what had been primarily eight or four-round cookies to exclusively six-round cookies required a couple of redesigns, and today, as I was preparing to join the new six-round peanut butter blossom I had designed the other day, I realized I was not entirely satisfied with it, and I made yet another revision.
Eventually, I finished the redesign of the cookie and got this far with the top left nine patch panel for the cookie-dough-ku, seen here on its own:
and here with the previously completed center nine patch:
Tomorrow I hope that I will be able to set aside any doubts that I might have and simply crochet the day away, one cookie at a time.