Today was one of those languorous summer days that almost slipped away from me.
But by 3:00, I was back on track, purposefully crocheting away.
In early July I began the work of organizing my crochet empire/guestroom. I discovered any number of “lost” and unfinished projects in the process, and one item that I came across while sorting through my crochet empire was this square that I made last August when I went to the Museum of Appalachia in Norris, Tennessee:
Based on a quilt that I saw in the gift shop while I was there, I used my Bauhaus block technique to create the pieces necessary to replicate the quilt block in crochet.
Fast forward to this summer:
With just 63 days until I need to have my entries into the state fair, I was still not certain what motif to make for my 2011 North Carolina State Fair project.
I decided that despite my fascination and love of yo-yos, I had too many details to work out to be able to get it done for this year’s fair. I would go with my Bauhuas block rendition of the quilt block I saw last year at the Museum of Appalachia.
Made with a 4.0 mm hook and worsted weight yarn, the square measures 6.5″. At that size, I would need and additional 224 squares to make the 8′ x 8′ project I envisioned.
So today, I got out my 4.5 mm hook and made these pieces:
Then I began the process of assembly.
First, I joined the four squares in the center into two rows of two:
and then joined the two rows, one to the other:
Next, I began adding the border of Bauhaus rectangles. First one:
and then I added the final rectangle:
The new square measured 7.5″ x 7.5″. I can get the 8’x 8′ project I envision with just 169 squares.
As for the whether or not I chose the right motif, I can’t look back now. What ever doubts, regrets, and uncertainties I have, they will have to wait; I have an afghan to crochet.