Just a little over a decade ago, I set out to make an afghan that I had wanted to make for twelve years. My first attempt had gone nowhere because the directions I had were an approximation, not a proper pattern. But with more crochet experience, a magnifying glass, obsessive stitch counting , and making complete notes, I finally crocheted myself the blanket I had so badly wanted:
Having worked my way through the pattern one time and with my complete notes at hand, I have crocheted any number of variations on any number of squares, but today, as I issued myself the following crochet challenge:
Complete as many squares as you can in one afternoon
I found that the number of square I could complete in one afternoon was just one.
I had eight squares I was eyeing, and I decided that Square E-2 would be the easiest. I don’t know why I thought this was the case, but I did, and I was misguided.
It turned out that when I made the Square E-2 for a blanket, I followed one set of notes, and when I made Square E-2 for a crochet purse, I followed another set of notes.
Faced with the discrepancy, I had to choose one or the other, and when all was said and done, this is the Square E-2 I chose:
And while my Square E-2 is just a tad smaller than D-2, when I start to put the pieces together it should be just right!