I have been busy the last couple of days working to get things done at home so that I am ready for more of my “will travel” crochet.
Yesterday my work was interrupted by the arrival of something new: a bright turquoise (Aquatic Vibe to be precise) sofa. My dog, Clooney, found it to be the perfect foil for his lovely, shiny black locks:
Unlike Clooney, I did not get a chance to sit on the couch today as I was busy preparing to travel later in the week. This meant, among other things, figuring out what I could take with me and what I would have to leave behind or at least put into my checked luggage.
I dove into one of the many black plastic bags that got packed up when we moved last March in search of remnants, and I found these rectangles and squares (with one boho heart thrown in for good measure):
Many of the pieces were leftover from my 2011 North Carolina State Fair entry:
At the time, I had made extra pieces so that I could figure out which colors I wanted to use as I pieced together the motifs. Obviously, I went a little overboard, but at least now I have a purpose for the many rectangles: they will live their new lives as six-inch crochet squares, but that new life will have to start with me joining some seams and weaving in some ends.
With my travel crochet figured out, I was able to again turn my attention to some crochet remnants I had already identified for rehab.
One of the more challenging parts of the rehab were the two circles. It can be a bit of a headache to get the increases spaced properly when squaring off a circle, so I decided to forego that challenge altogether.
The two crochet circle motifs I had that needed squaring off both had 36 single crochet stitches in the last round. Working a standing single crochet stitch into the back ridge loop (or BRL as I think of it), I then crocheted two chains, skipped the next 2 stitches, and then worked another sc into the BRL. I continued in this matter all the way around. This is how the circle looked from the front once I had come all the way around:
and here is how it looked from the back:
The chain-2 loops made it much easier to work the 3 hdc and 3 dc shells needed to square it off, and in no time, that motif was able to join all of the others for this late afternoon photo:
Tomorrow, is a new day, and I will continue to work on these various remnants, one stitch at a time.