It took me longer than I expected, and I still have a bit more work to do, but at long last it looks as though I might (just might) finish my “If pigs (and dogs and birds and bears and frogs and lions and turtles) could fly” project before March 1.
Today, I started by crocheting four pig ears, two each for the two remaining pigs. Then I finished the work of adding the features, weaving ends, and crocheting the last round that turned it from a pig circle to a pig hexagon.
Once the pigs were done, I finished work on the last remaining frog, and once the frog was done, I finished work on the last bird, which had been, as of yesterday, a simple, blue circle.
Eventually I finished making all of the pieces that were left to make, and I concentrated my efforts on joining them.
Then, shortly before sunset on a gray rainy day, I finished joining the hexagons that comprise rows 11 through 13:
Then, I took this picture to get a general idea of how it would look when I finished with all of the piecing:
Working another designer’s design (as I am with this project) is, in a way, an intimate act.
To some degree, I must allow the thoughts of Anne Halliday (as they are expressed in the directions of the pattern) into my head — her thoughts are right there next to my own, and long after I weave in the last end and block this project, her thoughts will still be there to guide me to new discoveries about the craft I love.