Yesterday I again found myself in a waiting room, and while I waited, I crocheted the second handle, joined it to the body of the bag and wove in and trimmed the remaining ends. here is how it looked when I was done fussing with it:
While there are many things I liked about the bag, I found that it had less structural integrity than has been my goal, so as soon as I finished this first effort, I moved on to my second effort.
Using a 5.5 mm hook and Red Heart Super Saver light raspberry, I made a new, firmer base that was also a smaller diameter than my first effort despite having the same number of rounds.
When I finally began crocheting the side of the bag, I switched to a still smaller hook with the hope that the result would be a firmer bag.
I also used a rainbow of solid pastel colors as I learned from using the variegated yarn in my first effort that the variegation obscures, to some degree, the design of the graphic cat.
By the time sunset was nearing, I had finished the body of the bag.
Here it is laid out flat:
and here it is standing upright without any yarn to support it:
I was satisfied with this second effort because except for the as-yet-to-be completed (and attached) handles, I had accomplished everything I had hoped to with this second effort.
I still need to figure out what to do for the handles and decide how to attach them, but come tomorrow morning, I plan to finish not only the cat bag , but the cat bag tutorial so that anyone who feels the need for a cat bag can make one.