When I finished work on the four hundred and ninety-fifth rehabbed crochet square just in time for my last blog post, I had spent the day working as fast as I could, hoping that I would get past the 500 crochet square mark, but instead I came up just a teensy bit short.
Yesterday, determined to get past the halfway mark, I searched for easy-to-rehab remnants that could be used to generate crochet mojo to help me power through the second half of my 1000 crochet square journey, and after just a little bit of digging, I found these six:
Except for one in-between sized square that needed an additional round to measure 6″, all that was needed was for the ends to be woven in and trimmed. In no time, I had six more squares rehabbed and ready for adventure:
As I wove in the final end and then trimmed it, I realized that I had not only reached the halfway point, I had surpassed it by one crochet square.
On a journey of a thousand miles, once you reach the five hundred and first mile, you might as well continue forward because it is farther to go back to where you started than to continue to the finish, and it is that sense of “I might as well go forward,” that I was hoping to create for myself, and it seems that I did.
With crochet square number 501 rehabbed, I found a small bin of crochet remnants that I had begun work on in late October when I discovered a seemingly endless supply of crochet remnants in need of rehab.
I had, however not gotten all of the pieces to a point where they were ready to be rehabbed, and when I laid them out and began to work on them, I remembered why.
As part of my rehab efforts, when I come across a remnant that is something I have been meaning to write the pattern for, I write the pattern, and in this particular batch of remnants, there were four different kinds of crochet cookies from my 2013 North Carolina State Fair crochet project, the directions for which I had never properly documented.
Since there is “no time like the present,” I set out to do just that, focusing my first effort on the cookie that was the trickiest — a Lemonades inspired lemon shortbread:
I had a vague recollection of how I had made it, but was reluctant to frog the piece to figure it out, but after a few missteps here and there, I did figure it out:
And while I did figure it out, I did not take comprehensive notes which is how I ended up having to make yet another motif:
while demonstrating just exactly how it is I ended up with so many crochet remnants to start with.
By now, I was bound and determined to get this particular batch of remnants ready for rehab, so despite having created two new remnants, I plowed forward and both figured out and wrote the pattern for a small peanut butter blossom crochet cookie while making just one more remnant:
Then when I had the ends woven in, I assembled the original remnants for a group photo:
Depending on how I decide to handle the two-round granny squares joined into crochet rectangles, there should be at least 26 finished crochet squares, not including the squares that will result from the three inadvertent remnants that were created as a part of my effort to properly document some of my designs, and I will continue on the second half of this journey the same as I did the first: one stitch at a time.