I finished most of the work on the crochet bag I started yesterday, and while it did not turn out as I envisioned, I am nearly done with it and plan to use what I learned from this endeavor to make a small purse that more closely resembles that bag of my original vision.
True to my original vision, I used two strands of yarn to form the body of the bag. In some places, I used two strands of the same color, and in others, I used one strand of a solid color and one strand of yarn formed by tying small scraps of yarn, one to the other, using a granny knot.
Crocheting with these upcycled yarn scraps, created definite sides of the fabric formed. Here is how the inside of the body of the bag looked shortly after I finished crocheting it:
While I love the riot of colors, I decided that I would pull the ends to the exterior side of the bag, so the color riot would be more readily visible. After an hour or more, I finally had all of the ends moved to the exterior side of the bag leaving the interior of the bag bereft of ends:
Meanwhile, the colorful stitch definition seen here before I pulled all the ends to the exterior:
disappeared and was replaced with this vibrant, almost electric porcupine effect:
There are two things I would do differently even if I were to make this bag exactly as I did the first time. One, I would use shorter yarn scraps, and tie the knots with longer ends so that there would be more yarn ends giving the exterior a bushier look. Two, I would pull the ends to the exterior after finishing each round.
As for my original vision, I’ll have to try to make that bag again another day.