Since August 1, when I took what was supposed to have been my 2015 North Carolina State Fair piece out of the bin where I had stored it in figurative mothballs for the preceding nine-and-a-half months, I have been making more of the pieces I will need to finish it.
Some of the pieces (like these crochet crazy quilt shapes):
are meant to fill in the center panel, while others (like these bazillion additional one-round granny squares):
have been made expressly to fill in gaps that I had failed to notice last year in the rush to the deadline I was unable to meet.
Today, feeling as if I have not gotten anything done the entire month of August (despite crocheting all of the pieces pictured above, and more), I decided to take advantage of the somewhat cooler and markedly less humid weather, and set up shop on my front porch:
With everything I needed within arm’s reach, I decided to generate some much needed crochet momentum.
To that end, I got out the clock panel and laid out a final round of one-round granny squares to transform the panel from 11 x 16 squares to 13 x 18 squares:
Then, with my trusty/beloved bent-tipped yarn needle in hand, I began joining the additional round of squares into strips, and I almost got all four strips joined before sunset:
The days are now growing noticeably shorter, and so I need to take advantage of the daylight to layout and document what color pieces go where, so that in the quiet of the early morning or late evening, I can continue to move forward, one stitch at a time.