Today I put the finishing touches on the thirty-six remnants I have been working to rehab of late.
I had already finished work on the twenty-seven remnants I had been gifted, so that left me with the nine that I had started work on in mid-June. Here is a photo of them as they were:
and here is a photo of them in their fully-completed, ready-for-adventure glory:
Of all of the things that have surprised me about rehabbing remnants, the one that has surprised me most is how gratifying it can be. I had thought that I might feel constricted by the fact that I was working with something that had already been formed both in shape and color. I had also thought it might feel demoralizing to work with so many pieces that hadn’t work out for whatever reason they didn’t work out, but I but I didn’t feel constricted or demoralized.
In fact, after the first couple of hundred rehabbed squares, I felt empowered by the purposefulness of it all. Knowing that I was taking something that was not being used and transforming it into something that will be part of the livelihood of one person, the home decor of another, and serve in some capacity to assist families in achieving their educational goals for their students, salvaged the time I had invested when I made the pieces.
Having transformed these thirty-six remnants into these thirty-six squares:
I am now just forty-five rehabbed squares away from my goal, and while I will have to spend some time tomorrow tracking down some remnants, I am ready to continue forward harnessing the power of purpose and moving forward one stitch at a time.